A 13th-century ruined Norman Castle with a smashing view across the River Telfi in Cilgerran, Pembrokeshire, Wales. It’s all about the Round Towers here. Between around 1110–1115, Gerald of Windsor built a wooden palisade which was replaced at some point before the attack in 1165 by Rhys ap Gruffydd. He captured the castle and utterly destroyed it. He then began reconstruction using stone and lime mortar. The castle was recaptured by the English when William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke, in 1204 when he drove out Rhy’s son, Maelgwn ap Rhys. Having captured the castle William Marshal began repairs but these proved futile when in 1215 Llywelyn the Great took the castle back into Welsh hands after just a single day of battle. In 1223 the castle was recaptured by Williams son William Marshal, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, who began the construction of the castle in its present form. It remained in English hands until it was allowed to fall into ruin and was deserted by 1400.